Converting 3rd party or improving metal planes to BRS stands

So after a brief hiatus for christmas and other game systems (Infinity and Cruel Seas) the time has come to get back to doing my BRS backlog!
I recently got a haul of plastic (resin) crack from the US (armaments in miniature) to add to my growing pile of to-assemble so I thought I'd make a start on it. I got x3 of the Ki48 for my Japanese, stopping them from being too reliant on the four engine H8K's I've got which are a bit unwieldy in smaller games. I also got x6 p38's which don't have a beta card as yet though Ken Natt and Andy Chambers are testing the p38E with the following: USA P-38 E Lightning 1941, Speed 8 (395mph) Agility 2, Firepower 2, Multi engine (2), Tight Turn, Heavy Hitter, Agile, 60 points
A few chaps asked me about the build/conversion process for the AiM planes so here we go:
Step 1)
Small cross-headed screwdriver
Remove the screw. On a lot of the AiM planes, the resin around the screw usually comes off clean with it. Light pressure with the screwdriver and hold the model in your hand to counterbalance the torque and protect the model from accidental crush damage.
If it didn't come out clean, cut away the resin with a sharp hobby knife.

2) Drill it out
You'll need a 3 or 3.5 drill bit and a drill set to a really low speed and torque setting ( I use a normal hand drill on its lower settings). 3.5 is perfect but if you use a 3 and give it a wiggle, you'll be grand. key here is not the depth you're after, but just widening the screw hole out to the right width for the hawk widget.

3) Test fit the widget
Hawk widgets
Pluck a widget off the sprue and push it into the hole with moderate pressure, don't overdo it, resin is fragile. If it's too tight, gently widen the hole with the drill really slowly and keep trying till its snug.

4) General resin preparation.
Give it a wash in soapy water to clear off the release agent from the casting process and dry thoroughly. If you have any bent wings, now's the time to correct them. Hold the bendy bit under hot water until it gets pliable, bend to shape and dunk in cold water until it sets.

5) Prime the model
Everyone has their own technique, not gonna preach to you here. cheap matte car primer is good enough (halfords grey is what I use if you're in the UK)

6) Glue in the widget
I use cyanoacrylate or standard superglue. Both seem to work fine!

Congrats, you're now done! At this point you can crack on and paint the mini, being careful not to splash the widget as you do.

As you can see, the technique holds everything on the base from a gladiator to a massive 4 engined seaplane!! It also works absolutely fine for warlord's own metal planes and the zvezda plastics; I've converted my metal wildcats from loose-fitting triangles to hawk widgets for security and they're great. some of my blenheims have been done this way too.

Hawk widgets are available from a number of gaming stores or the mighty amazon which is great if you've got prime for the shipping!
Hawk widgets from here

Hopefully this helps a few folk, let me know if there's anything else you want to see done!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to a new blog!

Breaking the game!